How Combined Cycle Power Plant (CCPP) Works

Combine Cycle Power Plants (CCPP):

The Combined Cycle Power Plant or combined cycle gas turbine, a gas turbine generator generates electricity and waste heat is used to make steam to generate additional electricity via a steam turbine.

A Combined Cycle Power Plant produces high power outputs at high efficiencies (up to 55%) and with low emissions. In a Conventional power plant we are getting 33% electricity only and remaining 67% as waste. 

By using combined cycle power plant we are getting 68% electricity.

A combined-cycle power plant uses both a gas and a steam turbine together to produce up to 50 percent more electricity from the same fuel than a traditional simple-cycle plant. The waste heat from the gas turbine is routed to the nearby steam turbine, which generates extra power.

How a Combined-Cycle Power Plant Produces Electricity Gas turbine burns fuel:

  1. The fast-spinning turbine drives a generator that converts a portion of the spinning energy into electricity. Heat recovery system captures exhaust: 
  2. The Heat Recovery System (HRSG) creates steam from the gas turbine exhaust heat and delivers it to the steam turbine.
  3. Steam turbine delivers additional electricity: The steam turbine sends its energy to the generator drive shaft, where it is converted into additional electricity.

Advantages of Combined Cycle Power Plant (CCPP):
  • The efficiency of the combined cycle plant is better or higher than the turbine cycle or steam cycle plant. The efficiency of combined cycle power plant will be of the order of about 45 to 50%. 
  • Fewer moving parts and less vibration than a reciprocating engine. 
  • Very low toxic emissions. 
  • Runs on a wide variety of fuels. 
  • High operating speeds

Disadvantages of Combined Cycle Power Plant (CCPP) :
  • Higher cost.
  • Longer start-up.
  • Less responsive to power demands.
  • Shrill whining noise.


  1. While hiring the best technicians for boiler repair in Acton becomes a necessity, then you should be very sure about taking all precautions so that you could the right service provider only! Remember, only top-class technicians are capable of bringing you complete peace of mind and also the best value for money.

  2. Such sites are important because they provide a large dose of useful information ... usha mist air duos


Popular Posts